YOEST – “ELEVEN POLITICIANS
LEARNED THAT LIFE COUNTS”
AUL ACTION WINS 11 of 12 TARGET RACES
Washington, DC – (11/03/10) – “During the debate over the health care bill, we urged Members of Congress to reject taxpayer-funded abortion. Yesterday, eleven politicians learned that Life Counts, and voters elected a new Congress committed to defending Life.”
- Dr. Charmaine Yoest, President and CEO, Americans United for Life Action
- AR-02: Joyce Elliott defeated by Tim Griffin.
- CO-03: Rep. John Salazar defeated by Scott Tipton.
- FL-08: Rep. Alan Grayson defeated by Daniel Webster.
- IN-09: Rep. Baron Hill defeated by Todd Young.
- NC-02: Rep. Bob Etheridge defeated by Renee Ellmers.
- OH-16: Rep. John Boccieri defeated by Jim Renacci.
- PA-03: Rep. Kathy Dahlkemper defeated by Mike Kelly.
- PA-10: Rep. Chris Carney defeated by Tom Marino.
- PA-11: Rep. Paul Kanjorski defeated by Lou Barletta.
- SC-05: Rep. John Spratt defeated by Mick Mulvaney.
- VA-05: Rep. Tom Perriello defeated by Robert Hurt.
AUL Action’s $600,000 Life Counts campaign targeted 12 key Congressional races in the 2010 midterm election. The objective: replace politicians who supported taxpayer-funded abortion in the health care bill.
- Almost 5,000 radio ads aired.
- Nearly Ten Million grassroots emails sent nationwide.
- “Life Counts” newspaper ads ran in key districts.
- Launched interactive website, VotingForLife.com that successfully energized grassroots activists both in target districts and across the nation.
AUL Action is the legislative action arm of Americans United for Life, a nonprofit, public-interest law and policy organization whose vision since 1971 is a nation in which everyone is welcomed in life and protected in law. AULA played in important role during the Health Care Reform debates because of its opposition to taxpayer funded abortion, which included pivotal advertising campaigns in 14 congressional districts and extensive work on Capitol Hill. AULA’s efforts during the last two Supreme Court confirmation events led to Dr. Yoest being asked to testify before the Senate Judiciary Committee twice. AUL’s legal team has been involved in every abortion-related case before the U.S. Supreme Court, including the successful defense of the Hyde Amendment. AUL also publishes Defending Life, the most comprehensive state-by-state legal guide of its kind, which is distributed annually to legislators across the nation.